to Relax & Heal with Lori Vintilescu
Relaxation, Restoration, and Recovery
for the body, mind, and spirit.
Did you know massage therapy is a holistic approach to wellness? As a massage therapist, I don't just treat your aching muscles, I interact with you as a person, discuss where the pain is coming from, and work with you to counteract the effects stress can have on you.
Massage therapy can have beneficial effects on every system of the human body:*
- Connective tissue - break up adhesions and repair tissue damaged by sprains and injury.
Help your body heal properly to prevent future sprains!
- Skin - increase superficial circulation, moisturize, exfoliate, stimulate sensory receptors.
- Joint function - increase flexibility and range of motion, and promote proper skeletal alignment.
Release those muscles pulling your knees and shoulders out of alignment!
- Muscle relaxation - work out "knots" and trigger points (referred pain), release tightness in specific muscles.
Relieve the muscles that carry your stress!
- Purging of metabolic waste - squeeze out lactic acid and promote disposal via the lymphatic system, which helps with that post-workout ache and muscle fatigue!
- Nervous system - stimulate the parasympathetic system (a state of natural relaxation), reduce or eliminate pain signals.
Turn off the pain cycle!
- Endocrine system - release of endorphins which make you feel happy!
- Cardiovascular system - increase general circulation, enhance venous return, reduce blood pressure and heart rate, increase circulation of red blood cells which speed healing
- Lymphatic system - increase the movement of lymphatic fluid and improve immune function.
This is helpful in preventing sickness, but if you have a cold or flu, this can actually increase the duration of your illness!
- Respiratory system - relax the muscles used for respiration, encourage breathing from the diaphragm, and promote structural alignment and rib cage expansion.
This is helpful for asthmatics!
- Digestive system - relaxation improves digestion and helps move things along.
- Urinary system - enhanced circulation to the kidneys.
Helps them work smarter, not harder!
- Reproductive system- improved reproductive function with relaxation.
Stress is your first enemy of success!
- Psychological - massage can actually increase mental awareness, reduce anxiety, facilitate emotional release, and promote feelings of general well-being, which all make for more productive workers and students more receptive to learning!
- Regular massage can promote growth and development in infants.
*Source: Tappan's Handbook of Healing Massage Techniques by Patricia J. Benjamin, Fifth Edition, Chapter 3, Table 3-1.